Hunter-Davisson, Inc., a leading Portland commercial HVAC-R & Controls contractor, is seeking an experienced Service Department or Division manager who will manage all aspects of our Service and Maintenance operation. This position is responsible for delivering an exceptional service experience to our customers, will supervise and develop both field and office team members, and will manage day-to-day operations. The successful candidate is an experienced leader who is comfortable and proficient working in a fast-paced, demanding, and technical environment.
Expectations, Responsibilities and Qualifications:
Our company has been in business for over 53 years and has steadily grown our service and maintenance business because we treat our customers as we want to be treated. Our customers rely on our honesty, integrity and genuine caring attitude to solve their problems and provide them with solutions.
The Service Manager will:
- Maintain a high degree of customer satisfaction to both external and internal customers.
- Be responsible for customer retention.
- Handle customer complaints and/or concerns in a timely manner.
- Instill trust and confidence in all customers.
- Give special attention to repeat calls.
- Grow the volume of service work by building trust and satisfaction with customers.
- Treat employees as internal customers.
We expect you to be 100% committed to the success of your team and actively involve yourself in your team members’ growth and development. Your team will look to you to set the standard for open communication, active problem solving, and a positive work environment. We will look to you and your ability to coach and teach to build a team of top talent. Our Service Manager is the coach of his/her teams – you must provide regular coaching and feedback, and have a deep knowledge of your team’s strengths and opportunities for growth. You will be responsible for leading and inspiring your team every day.
The Service Manager will:
- Be a leader and a team-player.
- Take ownership, and create a culture of accountability.
- Work well in high-pressure situations. Exceptional prioritization and time management skills are essential for success.
- Be strategic and proactive. You must think and plan ahead to give your team the tools they need to be successful.
- Be self-aware, flexible and open-minded.
- Possess a rare combination of mental agility, analytical thinking, hands-on problem solving, and a customer-service mindset.
- Be an advocate for your customers and your team. Your success depends on their success.
- Supervise Repair and Maintenance Technicians and Service Department staff.
- Embrace change and champion new technologies.
- Lead your team in the charge to follow the strategic direction set by the Executive Leadership Team.
The Service Manager must understand and own every aspect of the service and maintenance departments performance. You will be responsible for driving continuous improvements to facilitate exceptional team output and customer service by partnering with operations teams on strategic execution. The Service Manager is expected to champion safety, efficiency, quality, and overall excellence in all of your actions and decisions.
The Service Manager will:
- Maximize productivity levels of field and office staff.
- Monitor billing, warranty, follow up, and repair orders.
- Prepare your own and review staff service repair proposals.
- Ensure employees keep clean, efficient, and orderly workspaces and vehicles.
- Track daily repair inflow and outflow.
- Develop and maintain efficiency reports on Service Technicians and office staff.
- Maintain the overall culture, productivity, responsiveness and profitability of the Service Center.
- Maintain processes and procedures for controlling inventories, materials, equipment, expenditures, billing and all other items as they relate to the operation of the department.
- Achieve results for the service center in the areas of sales and profitability.
- Communicate opportunities, issues, trends to management and marketing.
- Involved in the hiring, training and development of the Service and Maintenance Team to support. overall department goals and objectives.
- Perform performance reviews for field and office employees.
- Manage emergency on call rotation list.
- Participate in management of emergency service on-call rotation.
- Participate in job walk at turnover and owner training.
- Review work orders prior to invoicing.
- Review maintenance renewal contracts.
- Prepare and present year end operations report to Executive Leadership Team.
- Technical acumen is required – must have a working knowledge of HVAC&R.
- Previous experience as a Service Director or Service Manager preferred.
- Proven abilities to lead a team and manage hourly employees.
- Minimum of 1-3 years management experience.
- Influential, high level of verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail, time management, project management, and organizational skills.
- Proven experience leading field, technical repair teams in a fast-paced, technology-driven environment with strong customer facing responsibilities.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure and work to deadlines.
- Ability to build strong relationships cross-functionally.
- Ability to analyze complex issues, conduct root-cause investigations, and prepare reports on findings.
- Ability to handle sensitive and proprietary information with discretion and confidentiality.
- Continuous self-improvement and proactive mindset.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products: Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Educational experience: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience preferred.
Some of our benefits include:
- 401(k) plan
- Paid holidays and vacations
- Medical & dental insurance
- Profit sharing
Drug free, Smoke free, and proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.