With freezing weather upon us we wanted to remind you about precautionary measures you can take to protect your cooling towers. If you have a Preventative Maintenance agreement with Hunter-Davisson, rest assured your cooling tower has been winterized. If you are unsure if you have a cooling tower feel free to give us a call and we can check our records, or if you have a Building Engineer, he or she should be able to answer this question.
Important things to check
• Make sure circulation pumps are running to ensure water is not sitting in the tube bundle.
• Ensure that your cooling tower discharge dampers are functional so they close when there is no call for cooling.
• Spray pumps should not be running.
• Sump heaters should be operational.
• Verify that the sump water is protected from freezing. Check sump heater operation or drain (if required).
• Ensure that boilers are functional, and if run times are restricted to time schedules you may need to make some adjustments.
If you have a Building Engineer it would be beneficial for them to do a pre-check, spot check, and loop temperature check throughout the day to identify any potential problems that may exist or occur when temperatures fall below 32 degrees.
Keep in mind that response times for your service contractors may be slower in severe weather conditions.
If you need our assistance, we would be happy to answer any questions you might have. Please contact our Service Department at: 503-234-0477